More than 40 years have passed since Britain fought a secret war in Oman. Former Major Nicholas Ofield has returned for the first time since the conflict to retread his battlegrounds with his son, filmmaker Tristan Ofield. This blog contains excerpts from the production diary Tristan kept during filming.


Sunday 23 October 2011

Last Day

Been treated like Royalty at SAF TR (Sultan's Armed Forces Training Regiment)Dad very happy. Got introduced to the General in charge of the base. Had coffee and dates. Then got taken on a leisurely tour around by the 2IC Colonol Kalid a Jobali. Very nice chap, has 10 children. Went to his house for lunch and tea. Kept saying he wasn't prepared for us because he thought we were coming tomorrow. Christ thank god we caught him unaware otherwise we'd have been even more stuffed. They gave Dad a glass plack of the regimental crest. He was touched. While walking round the base dad commented on the place settings in the officer's mess. Knowing that the old man wanted one but wouldnt asked - I did (counting on Arab/Omani hospitality). The Colonel sorted me out a coaster and a table mat. Result. 


This is to be the last day of shooting. For me this trip marks the end of an era. It took me a long time to realise that the adventures I'd been having all my life weren't mine. Not truly. I was a passenger in my father's adventures. Things have come full circle. In away Oman is where it all started for both of us. Now I have to go out and make my own adventure. Although I guess one of the great things about being a documentary film maker is you get to piggyback on other people's adventures.






Over the coming year I will be interviewing more veterans. Dealing  with story threads as they twist and pull on one another, writing and recording narration, shooting re-enactments,discussing title changes, picking music, and finding out more about the war in Dhofar. I can't think of anything more perfect.








*****Captain's announcement while on the flight home*****
Excuse me ladies and gentlemen but we may experience some minor turbulence over Iran" (is that supposed to be a f***ing joke)

No comments:

Post a Comment